Correctional System of the Philippines
The Correctional System in the Philippines is composed of six agencies under three distinct and separate departments of the national government. That three departments of the national government are the following:
1. The Department of Justice
2. The Department of the Interior and Local Government
3. The Department of Social Welfare and Development
Bureau of Corrections - is an agency under the Department of Justice mandated to carry out institutional rehabilitation programs of the government for national offenders, those sentenced to more than three years and to ensure their safe custody. It is composed of seven operating institutions located all over the country to accept national prisoners. The central office is located in the New Bilibid Prison, Muntinlupa City, Metro Manila, where the director, the assistant director and the general administration staff are holding official functions.
Bureau of Correction Mandate - The rehabilitation of national prisoners.
Bureau of Correction Slogan - bringing back the dignity of man.
Bureau of Correction Principles
- accomplishing its mandated objectives and performing its assigned
1. To confine prisoners by giving them adequate living spaces as the
first conditions to be met before any effective
rehabilitation programs can be undertaken.
2. To prevent prisoners fro committing crime while in custody.
3. To provide humane treatment by affording them human basic
needs in the prison environment and prohibiting
cruel methods and provide a variety of rehabilitation program.
Bureau of Corrections Operating Institutions
1. New Bilibid Prisons - Muntinlupa City
2. Correctional Institution for Women - Mandaluyong City
3. Iwahig Prison and Penal Farm - Puerto Princesa City
4. Davao Prison and Penal Farm - Davao del Norte
5. Sablayan Prison and Penal farm - Occidental Mindoro
6. San Ramon Prison and Penal Farm - Zamboanga City
7. Leyte Regional Prison - Leyte
1. Inmate work program
2. Health care
3. education and skills training
4. Recreation and Sports
5. Religious guidance and behavior modification using the therapeutic
Penal Management Review Questions 1: Next Page