Anti-Money Laundering Act Of 2001 R.A. NO. 9160
Money Laundering - is a crime whereby the proceeds of an unlawful
activity are transacted, thereby making them appear to have originated from legitimate sources.
1. Any person knowing that any monetary instrument or property
represents,involves or relates to, the proceeds of any unlawful
activity, transacts or attempts to transact said monetary
instrument or property.
2. Any person knowing that any monetary instrument or property
involves the proceeds of any unlawful activity, performs or fail to
perform any act as a result of which he facilitates the offense of
money laundering referred to in paragraph 1 above.
3. Any person knowing that any monetary instrument or property is
required under this act to be disclosed and filed with the
Anti-Money Laundering Council (AMLC) fails to do so.
Covered Transaction: Transaction in excess of P500,000. within one banking day.
Suspicious Transaction, Requisites:
1. Covered Institution
2. Regardless of amount and
3. Any of the following circumstances:
a. no economic justification
b. client not properly identified
c. amount not commensurate with financial capacity
d. structured to avoid reporting
e. deviation from client's profile or past transactions
f. unlawful activity under this act
g. similar or analogous
1. Kidnapping for ransom
2. Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002 (Sec. 4,5,6,8,9,10,12,
3. Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act (Sec.3,par.B,C,E,G,H,I)
5. Robbery and Extortion
6. Jueteng and Masiao punished as illegal gambling
7. Piracy on the High Seas
8. Qualified Theft
11.Electronic Commerce Act of 2000
12.Hijacking and Other Violation Of RA 6235,Destructive and Murder,
including those perpetrated by terrorists against non-combatants
13.Securities Regulation Code of 2000
14.Offenses of similar nature punishable by foreign penal laws.
What is required to be reported?
Covered Institutions shall report to the Anti-Money Laundering Council
all covered transactions and suspicious transactions within 5 working days from the occurrence.
Authority to inquire into bank deposits
1. Court order upon showing of probable cause that the deposit is
related to an unlawful activity or a money laundering offense.
2. No court order required for the ff: unlawful activities:
a. Kidnapping for ransom
b. Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002, Hijacking and
other violations of RA 6235, Destructive and Murder, including
those perpetrated by terrorists against non combatants.
Prosecution of Money Laundering
1. Offender may be charged with and convicted of both money
laundering and the unlawful activity
2. Proceeding of unlawful activity shall be given precedence over the
prosecution for money laundering, without prejudice to freezing
and other remedies of this act.
Criminal Procedure: Next Page